2015 County Government Essay Contest
April is “National County Government Month” and the County Commissioners’ Association of WV (CCAWV) is hosting our 4th annual essay contest for 8th grade students across West Virginia.
There will be a monetary prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place student winners. There will also be a monetary prize for the 1st place winner’s Teacher to be used for classroom activities. 1st Place Student will receive $300 and teacher will receive $300. 2nd place Student – $250 and 3rd place Student – $150.
One of CCAWV’s goals is to increase information and public awareness about county government and the office of County Commissioner. As an initiative of this goal we are excited to partner with West Virginia educators to encourage students to learn and write about their local county governing body, the County Commission.
Teachers, encourage students to write about a particular aspect of county commission authority that impacts the student’s life. Perhaps it is the funding of parks or county pools, or the funding to volunteer fire departments, new water or sewer projects perhaps, or farmland preservation boards that preserve property for farming activity. There are a multitude of areas where an 8th grader’s life is touched by county government…we’d like to hear about it!
Student participants are asked to type a 500-word essay on the topic…..
“How does my county commission make life better for me?”
Take a class fieldtrip to a county commission meeting! Ask your county commissioners to come speak to the class! Find out what your county commission is working on in your county and encourage your students to write about it through the eyes of an 8th grader and why it matters to them.
A committee of commissioners and CCAWV Staff will serve as judges of the contest. All entries must be emailed by 5:00 pm April 17, 2015to qualify. (Please see complete rules attached) Entries should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org Questions, please contact Megan Stroup at email@example.com or call 304-345-4639.
A winner will be announced by April 30, 2015
CCAWV County Government Essay Contest Rules 2015
- The contest is open to all 8th grade students who are enrolled in a West Virginia public or private school.
- The contest deadline is 5 p.m. on April 17, 2015 (see No. 8).
- Each essay is limited to a maximum of 500 words and a minimum of 400 words and must address the following question: “How does my county commission make life better for me?” The essay must address specifically the county commission of the county in which the student resides.
- Each student is limited to one entry.
- Each teacher must completely fill out an official application form (attached). Please submit each entry individually as a Word or PDF document with a copy of the application form attached.
- All entries must contain the student’s name, email address, and the county name in which the essay is about.
- All entries must be submitted in Microsoft Word or PDF format and must be submitted by the student’s teacher.
- All entries must be emailed to Vivian@ccawv.org prior to 5 p.m. on April 17, 2015.
- The winning essay will be announced by April 30, 2015.
- The 1st place student will receive $300, and the teacher who submitted the 1st place essay will receive $300 to be used for classroom activities
- The 2nd place student will receive $250 and the 3rd place student will receive $150.
- The winning students and his/her teachers will be invited to a County Commissioners meeting in their home county to receive their awards.
- The 1st place winning essay will be published in Commissioners’ Corner, CCAWV’s official publication, and posted on the CCAWV website, (www.ccawv.org).
- Essays will be judged on the following criteria: understanding of the role of county commission; grammar and spelling; clarity and organization of thought.
- By entering the contest, each student and teacher agrees to allow his/her name to be used in a news release announcing the contest winner in the event that their essay is selected as a winning essay. In addition, they agree to allow their photograph to be published in the Commissioners’ Corner and on the CCAWV Web site.
- Entries will not be returned.
Official Application Form
CCAWV 2015 County Government Essay Contest
Teacher’s Email address:_____________________________________
Name of School:____________________________________________
School Telephone #:_________________________________________
School Mailing Address:______________________________________
Submitting Student’s Name___________________________________
Submitting Student’s mailing address (if available):________________
(Teacher, you must submit a copy of this completed form with each student entry.)
Robert “Joey” Wiseman Jr.
WVDE Office of Secondary Learning