Essay test- February 21, 2023 Online Test for Fayette- March 9, 2023
Golden Horseshoe Participants:
Please read the email below from Dustin Lambert as well the two attachments that I have forwarded to you. Please make sure those at your school who need to know this information are given this information. Remember to send the signed confidentiality statements to Dustin Lambert. You will find both the essay and the online confidentiality statements on WVDE webiste.
The essay is on February 21 and the online test for Fayette is March 9.
Please share all of this information with principals and teachers.
- The essay test is schedule for Tuesday, February 21st unless you have make contact with us to make other arrangements. I will email the prompt on February 17th.
- Please check your county online test schedule and prepare accordingly:
- Tuesday, February 28: Brooke, Hancock, Ohio, Wetzel, Putnam
- Wednesday, March 1: Barbour, Boone, Cabell, Doddridge, Hardy, Harrison, Monongalia, Pendleton, Ritchie, Tucker
- Thursday, March 2: Berkeley, Braxton, Gilmer, Grant, Marshall, Morgan, Taylor, Tyler, WVSD/B
- Tuesday, March 7: Clay, Hampshire, Lincoln, McDowell, Nicholas, Wyoming
- Wednesday, March 8: Greenbrier, Lewis, Mason, Mercer, Mingo, Preston, Summers, Webster, Wirt, Wood, Wayne
- Thursday, March 9: Jefferson, Kanawha, Mineral, Monroe, Roane, Fayette
- Tuesday, March 14: Calhoun, Logan, Marion, Pleasants, Pocahontas, Raleigh, Randolph, Upshur, Jackson
All students in the county must take the online test on the same day to qualify for the competition.
- Students must complete the online test in ONE setting. They may not start the test and then be offered a break/lunch and come back to complete it once they have left the testing location.
- Once students close the test or their session expires, they cannot reenter the test.
- The make-up window for Golden Horseshoe is March 20-24, 2023.
Any 8th grade student who did not take the exam on the regularly scheduled day for the county, must take the exam during the make-up window. Students who take the exam during the make-up window are not eligible to compete for a Golden Horseshoe – the test only serves to fulfill the middle school social studies testing requirement.
- The second practice test opened yesterday, January 30, 2023 and will remain open until February 10, 2023.
- Please remind teachers of the confidentiality agreements for the essay and online test. I’ve attached both to this email. No one is permitted to administer the essay or online test without signing, scanning, and emailing me a copy of the form.
- If you have homeschool students taking the Golden Horseshoe, you will need to share their credentials to log in to take the practice tests. They may do this at home. The public school must inform the family of the dates and times to take the essay and online test. They cannot take these at home.
- Virtual schools students may write the essay virtually and scan a copy to the school, but they must come to the public school to take the online test in the presence of a teacher who has signed the confidentiality agreement. There are no exceptions to this expectation. To participate in the competition, virtual school students must take the online test at the public school.
- Visit our website for additional information!
Please let me know if you have questions!
Dustin Lambert, M.Ed.
Middle Schools & Social Studies 6-12
West Virginia Nonpublic Schools & Homeschool
PK-12 Academic Support
Office of Teaching and Learning
Building 6, Room 500
1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, WV 25305-0330
You must be logged in to post a comment.